Saturday, November 29, 2008

23 years...1 day at a time

Twenty three years ago today, I made a decision that would completely change who I am as a person. Some of you may remember me back then, (and some may not care to remember) but many of my friends these days don't even know the other person I was before that decision.

Today, I celebrated my "birthday" and ate cake with people from all walks of life; some of whom I would never have met if not for that one decision. That decision was the "what happened" in between "what it was like", and "what's it's like now." I was 22 years old, and it is rather surreal to think that I have lived longer on this side of life than I had on the other side when honestly, I had never intended to live to be 23 years old, period. Oh my. Now I'm 45. (You are probably shaking your head at this point and saying, "Yes, Liz, 22+23=45. Duh.")

The thing is, I never intended for it to go this far. I had planned to just use it a while and get my life together, then go on my merry way. God had other plans, it turns out. Plans for things like; a happy and marriage to a tender-hearted man, 4 little saints in heaven with our last name, several moves, 12 homes (so far!), some very painful losses, years of therapy, 4 unbelievable blessings from the other side of the world, repaired relationships, a crazy faith journey, and all along the way there have been friends. True friends who have been there at 2am to answer their phone, friends who have helped me move, friends who have shared holidays with me, friends who have cried and laughed with me, friends who loved me enough to tell me the truth, even when it was ugly, friends who are trudging the road of happy destiny just like I am.

I am so grateful for that day when I admitted I was powerless and began to let a power greater than myself restore me to sanity. I am so, so grateful that it has gone this far.