A couple of weeks ago I was worrying about the kids' education. Was I getting everything in that they need? Were we spending enough time in the right areas? After a bit, I realized that worrying would do nothing to help, and I prayed that God would guide us and bless our little school at home. I wanted reassurance that we were following His will, I guess. Then I went on with the usual business (and busy-ness) of our family life. A few days passed and I was feeling better; not worrying because I knew that as long as we do our best to do God's will for us, we will be fine.
On Friday, we went to the dentist for T and I. The girls and M sat in the lobby and quietly played cards. When I came out, a gentleman was talking to the kids, and he started to talk to me as well. We talked about going to Wal Mart to shop after the dentist visit. After a few questions, I thought "How nice. Not the usual "questions" about adoption and home schooling. Just a nice guy." He complimented me on the kids' behaviour, and wished us a nice day as we left. It was all very pleasant.
Everyone piled into the van and the girls said they had a surprise for me when we got to Wal Mart, but they couldn't tell me until then. I was thinking maybe they were planning to buy me a candy bar or something like that, because they were discussing their penny collection. When I parked, girls rushed up to the front of the van and said "That man put this in your purse and told us not to tell you until we got here. He said to spend it on the stuff we needed. Mama, he gave us $10.00!" Sarah uncurled her fist, and at the same moment all three of us realized it was not a ten, but a hundred dollar bill! I was flabbergasted. They were shocked to see me so speechless. Truly, I didn't know what to say. Finally I was able to speak and asked them if they understood how big of a deal this was. (They did not). Only when I said "This is nearly a week's worth of groceries, you guys" did they understand what a blessing we had received. Knowing we could not thank him, the kids and I said a prayer for the man, and thanked God for this wonderful surprise. We discussed how this was truly God working in our lives; letting us know how much He cares for us and that nothing is impossible with Him. I still feel a bit amazed when I think of it.
Sunday at mass, we had to sit in two rows because we were a bit late. Matt and the boys were in front of the girls and I, to our right, on the aisle. A lady gave something to Matt and said something that I could not hear. He handed it back to me and it was a holy card with this verse "Let nothing disturb you. Let nothing frighten you. All things pass away: God never changes. Patience obtains all things. He who has God finds he lacks nothing. God alone suffices." Wow. After mass he told me that all the lady said was "This is for your wife." We don't know her. Also after Mass, the man behind me tapped me on the shoulder and thanked us for being at there. What?
Apparently, God wanted to really let me know that everything is indeed alright. Isn't He awesome?
1 comment:
What a moving post!!! A few months ago someone had left a $50.00 gift card to Fareway in our mailbox at church.....with a note that simply read "someone helped us out when we needed it the most, pay it forward when you can" WOW...that was a month we were running down to the wire with money(as are MOST months)......
And another time we had an unexpected "Gift from God from a Person on Earth" as I like to call it. Someone helped us pay our car bill which got us up and going on the road again.
I know these people are working through God and I try and give back whenever I can.
The whole story about the $100.00 bill gave me goosebumps.
Someday, when we can afford it, we will do the very same for someone and I suppose until that day, we will work harder at kind gestures.
I wrote a thank you note for a teacher that let our oldest walk her dog to pay for her to go to church camp for an entire week. My family has always been big on thank you notes and so I purchased a thank you note and she was so touched, in a day and age where thank you notes are far and few between as emails and phone calls are more common.....she said she was moved to tears and wanted to write a thank you note for OUR thank you note.....
God is good and I know he works in our lives every day....maybe not always on my time but he knows best....and sometimes we are just a little impatient to see that....
Thanks again for TWO very wonderful posts.....as I sit here at my computer as the world is just waking up for the day.
Post a Comment