Monday, March 28, 2011

MBMM #24

This quilt was made out of approximately 80 different quilt blocks I had accumulated over the years when I would try out a block or have leftover blocks from another project. One January, I decided to get it put together that year, and started by working 15 minutes at a time. If I recall, the kids were still little and sewing time was short. I had 2 goals: to use only the blocks I had already, and to not purchase any fabric for this quilt.

When it was finished, I so hoped to have it hand quilted, but the waiting list was so long I thought I'd never get it done. A friend's grandmother ended up quilting it, and only charging me $130! The quilting alone is amazing.


The sides were finished using some "piano key" border I found in some of Grama Smith's stuff when I cleaned out her house after she died. I can remember some of the fabrics from aprons or dresses she wore.

This block is one that Grama Pluma and I made when I was about 8 years old. There was a round of black squares that have now disintegrated. (Wonder what that fabric content was?) I'm not sure how I will repair this part, or I might just put a whole new block over it. It's a fun quilt because I can look at each part and remember what project/gift that particular block came from. There's a bit of everything in it, from a graduation quilt to a puppy quilt. Alos, it was quite a job to get all those different sized blocks to come together and be "square" enough to put together. If one looks very closely, there are several places where I added a strip just to square things up. I'm proud of this one!

No comments: