Thursday, August 9, 2007

Hot, hot, REALLY hot

It has been HOT this week. Hot as in 106*. Last night at 11pm it was still 90* with a heat index of 98*. I truly can say it is hotter than Iowa, but not as humid. And when people say, "Yes, but it's a dry heat" like that makes it less hot, I can say "Yes, it is dry, but so is an oven." That is what this heat feels like; the oven when you have it at 500* and open it to a face full of heat.

About humidity--some people here think it is humid at 55% humidity. (You have to look that percentage up, they don't give it on the weather--what does that tell you Iowejuns?) I still say that standing in our yard on 238th St., surrounded by cornfields on a 95* day feels hotter than the usual 98* here.

The weather people call the heat index "feels like tempuratures." As in "Tomorrow will be 104* with feels-like-tempuratures of 112*. Doesn't that sound kind of ignorant after listening to Johnny-Mac on TV 8? I find it interesting that Iowa has top-notch meteorologists and people (here) call Iowa the sticks. That's one of those things that make you go "hmmmmmmmmmmm".

Anyway, I'm going to start calling this kind of weather "Stupid hot" because that's just what it is. Stupid.

No comments: