Monday, August 20, 2007

An idea is starting to form....

and that is always dangerous! No, I've been thinking a lot about what is so different about this area (besides the OBVIOUS) and today came up with a good anology. Ready?

It's shallow. In so many ways. Hmmmm...the roots of these long leaf pines are shallow. While driving to and fro, I often see whole trees uprooted, and there aren't many roots. How do they stay upright? They are like really tall people with tiny little feet.

The dirt is shallow. Well, not the dirt, really, the covering over it is shallow. As in; pine needles. Brush them back and you get sand. There is no deep, rich, black earth that smells sweet and cool when you dig into it. I miss that more than I ever imagined I would. As a matter of fact, I never imagined missing dirt, because, foolishly, I thought it was every where. I have never seen so much sand in a place that isn't a beach. Some of you who know me from waaaayyyyy back know how much I detest sand. Hate it on my feet--hate it. I'm really uncomfortable at the beach. My backyard is like a beach. Only uglier, and with more trees. People are always talking about "going to the beach" and I get the willies thinking about spending a whole week in sand.

The colors are shallow. All vegetation is a shade of green with a tinge of brown. No rich emerald green deciduous leaves rustling in the wind. Hindsight is 20/20, and I can now say that I regret all those days when the wind blew on the farm and I complained about it. Such a sweet melody would (truly) be music to my ears now.

On another front, school will have to start someday. Books are not ordered, and plans are not concrete, but sooner or later, we will have to "start" with a daily routine. I admit, I am happy that I was not at Wal Mart buying school supplies and backpacks and the usual paraphenlia. This year, if we were enrolled in a bricks-and-mortar school, all four kids would be going, and I would have all day to myself. Honestly, I can say that I have no desire anymore to have the day to myself everyday. We would all miss each other and all the fun things we do way too much, but we wouldn't learn anymore than we do now. If they were at "school" all day, how would we have caught Carolina Anoles (lizards) and studdied them for our nature notebooks? How would we have written a poem at lunch together (about dinosaurs) just because we started rhyming words with "more?" How would we have time to read a story at breakfast and discuss how a covenant is a "forever promise, just like adoption?"
Indeed. How would we have time to learn if we were at "school" all day?

1 comment:

Lele said...

Ok I think I've remembered my password. Duh